Firearms & Weapons Offenses
In Delaware, Firearm and other Deadly Weapon offenses carry severe penalties, including minimum mandatory terms of incarceration. Frequently, Deadly Weapon and Firearm offenses are charged in conjunction with other offenses, compounding the potential length of a jail term in any given case. Although these offenses carry some of the most serious penalties, just because you have been charged with a weapons offense, all is not lost. In many cases, challenges can be made as to the legality of the search that was conducted by the police in finding the weapon, and whether the evidence is sufficient to prove a weapon was used in furtherance of other crimes.
Moreover, in many cases, individuals charged with illegally possessing a weapon are innocent bystanders who may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. In these instances, the State’s burden of proof to arrest you and charge you with a firearm/weapon possession crime is a far cry from the State’s burden of proof for an actual conviction at trial. It is important in these instances to have an experienced criminal trial attorney that can evaluate and identify any deficiencies in the State’s evidence.
In light of these heavy penalties, it is necessary to have an attorney that understands the ever-changing complexity of Delaware Firearms and Deadly Weapon Statutes, Constitutional Search and Seizure law, and the experience to successfully represent you.
I am a criminal trial attorney experienced in handling all cases involving Deadly Weapons and Firearms:
- Possession of a Deadly Weapon/Firearm by a Person Prohibited
- Possession of Ammunition by a Person Prohibited
- Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony
- Possession of a Deadly Weapon During the Commission of a Felony
- Possession of a Destructive Weapon
- Possession of a Deadly Weapon with an Obliterated Serial Number
- Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon
- Carrying a Concealed Dangerous Instrument
- Theft of a Firearm
- Receiving a Stolen Firearm
- Illegal Discharge of a Firearm
If you have been charged with a weapons offense, contact me today.