Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney for Drunk Driving / Driving Under the Influence
Being charged with Driving Under the Influence in Delaware has serious implications including loss of license, hefty fines, and potential jail-time. It is necessary to have a defense attorney who understands the ever-changing complexity of Delaware DUI laws and the experience to obtain a case resolution that is in your best interest.
Penalties for Driving Under the Influence / Drunk Driving in Delaware
- 1st Offense: Up to 1 year in jail, and up to a $1,500 fine.
- 2nd Offense (occurring at any time within 10 years of a prior offense): Misdemeanor offense, mandatory 60 days in jail and up to a $2,500 fine.
- 3rd Offense (occurring at any time after 2 prior offenses): Class G Felony offense, mandatory 90 days in jail and up to a $5,000 fine.
- 4th Offense (occurring at any time after 3 prior offenses): Class E Felony offense, mandatory 6 months in jail and up to a $7,000 fine.
- 5th Offense (occurring at any time after 4 prior offenses): Class E Felony offense, mandatory 18 months in jail and up to a $10,000 fine.
- 6th Offense (occurring at any time after 5 prior offenses): Class D Felony offense, mandatory 2 years in jail and up to a $10,000 fine.
- 7th Offense (occurring at any time after 6 prior offenses): Class C felony offense, mandatory 2 ½ years in jail and up to a $15,000 fine.
Your Driver's License After a Delaware DUI Arrest: Deadline for DMV Hearing
It is extremely important to obtain an attorney as early as possible after being arrested for DUI. For instance, there is a 15 day deadline to request a DMV Hearing after being arrested for DUI in order to prevent the loss of your license, a deadline which is not immediately evident from the paperwork.
Defenses Against DUI Charges
Just because you have been arrested for DUI, all is not lost. In the majority of cases, defense motions can be filed challenging whether the police had a right to stop you, or possessed probable cause to arrest you. Additionally, the results of breath or blood tests can also be challenged or thrown out if not done correctly.
I am an attorney experienced in defending persons charged with Driving Under the Influence and I am keenly aware of how to evaluate and challenge the sufficiency of the evidence in all DUI cases.
Contact Experienced Delaware DUI Defense Attorney John Barber
Call or email today for a free initial consultation with Delaware DUI defense attorney John Barber.